Soaring 26 stories in Herald Square
Ideally located in the heart of New York City, at the crossroads of the city’s most exciting neighborhoods, Herald Towers is in close proximity to all major subway lines (including B, D, F, M, N, Q, R, W, 1, 2, 3, A, C, E) and also only one block away from the PATH train and LIRR.
- 24-Hour Concierge
- Laundry Room
- In-house Dry Cleaning and Tailoring
- Resident’s Lounge
- Rooftop Terrace
- Fitness Center
- Complimentary Fitness classes
- Internet Access and Cable TV Ready
The area around Herald Square along Broadway and 34th Street is a retail hub. The most notable attraction is the Macy's flagship department store, the largest in the United States (and according to Guinness World Records the largest in the world until being surpassed by a Korean store in 2009). In 2007, Macy's, Inc. moved its corporate headquarters to that store after renaming from Federated. Macy's archrival Gimbels was also located in the neighborhood until 1984; in 1986 the building became the Manhattan Mall. Other past retailers in the area included E.J. Korvette, Stern's, and Abraham & Straus. J.C. Penney opened its first Manhattan flagship store in August 2009 at the former A&S location inside the Manhattan Mall. The square is roughly equidistant between Madison Square to the south, and Times Square to the north. Herald Square's south side borders Koreatown, at West 32nd Street.
The area is served by the 34th Street – Herald Square station (B, D, F, M, N, Q, R, and W trains) of the New York City Subway. Additionally, the 33rd Street station (HOB–33, JSQ–33, and JSQ–33 (via HOB) trains) of the PATH serve the square.
Herald Square proper is the north end of the square between West 34th Street and West 35th Street. The old New York Herald Building was located on the square. The square contains a huge mechanical clock whose mechanical structures were constructed in 1895 by the sculptor Antonin Jean Carles. The monument, known as the James Gordon Monument consists of the Goddess of Wisdom, Minerva with her owls in front of a bell, flanked by two bell ringers mounted on a Milford pink granite pedestal. The monument's bell was designed to chime on the hour. The two seven-foot-tall bronze laborers, nicknamed Stuff and Guff give the appearance of ringing the bell with their mallets, while in actuality is rung by mallets located behind the bell. The figures and the clock were originally part of the 1894 New York Herald Building that was located at the square. Prior to the demolition of the building in 1921, the figures were removed and reinstalled in the Square in 1940.